6.04.2004

Degree of A.U.G.

Here's a little more from Shadow of the Almighty. These words seemed to have been spoken prophetically to me when I read this for the first time back my sophomore year at Jewell. And yet, they are still as convicting and moving to me now as they were then.

-- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --

Many a freshman entering college has no clear idea of what he is there for. Vaguely, it is to "get an education," but many have done this without college, and many have gone to college without getting educated. The idea of education presents itself to the freshman in a bewilderingly vast variety of forms...

:::::::

When Jim entered Wheaton College in Illinois in the fall of 1945, his goal was clear. First of all, he had committed himself entirely to God and recognized the discipline that this commitment would involve. "No man that warreth entangleth himself with the affairs of this life, that he may please Him who hath chosen him to be a soldier." This automatically eliminated many problems, and many "good" things, in order to give place to those which furthered his purpose. Other students, however, lacking a defined primary aim, often pursued too many of the secondary ones presented to them.

:::::::

Sept. 1946
"The acquisition of acacemic knowledge (the 'pride of life') is a wearing process and I wonder now if it is all worth while. The shiny paint laid on by curiosity's hand has worn off. What thing better can a man know than the love of Christ, which passes knowledge? Oh to be revelling in the knowledge of Him, rather than wallowing in the quagmire of inscrutable philosophy!"


:::::::

February 22, 1947
"My grades came through this week, and were, as expected, lower than last semester. However, I make no apologies, and admit I've let them drag a bit for study of the Bible, in which I seek the degree A.U.G., 'approved unto God.'"


Oh, that more of us would seek that in our lives, in school or in our jobs, or wherever we find ourselves. As you'd expect, there are also many things he said about missionary life that have been transforming for me to read...

"90% of the people who volunteer for the mission field never get there. It takes more than a 'Lord, I'm willing!'"

"Mexico has stolen my heart. We've been here a fortnight and they have invited me to stay as long as I wish. Right now I almost wish it were for life...
The Lord has been good to me in bringing me here and giving this brief opportunity to see the field and hear the language a bit. Missionaries are very human folks, just doing what they are asked. Simply a bunch of nobodies trying to exalt Somebody."



:::::::

No comments: